A closer look at Roslyn Place, the last wood-paved street in Pittsburgh

Full Post | Original Source...

Clocking in at just 250 feet long, this tree-lined residential street in Pittsburgh’s Shadyside neighborhood is constructed from around 26,000 wooden blocks.

Roslyn Place is the last wooden street in Pittsburgh, and one of only a handful of wooden streets left in the world. The road was originally installed in 1914 by Thomas Rodd, during the time when wood-block paving was thought to help deaden some of the cacophony caused by horse-and-wagon traffic.

See it at Atlas Obscura.

Leave a Reply