Polly Williams: The Legend of White Rocks

Hi To Rd, Fairchance, PA 15436, United States

Website

“Polly Williams, 1792 – 1810: Behold with pity you that pass by, Here do the bones of Polly Williams lie. Who was cut off in tender bloom, By a vile wretch, her pretended groom.” Sweet Polly Williams fell to her death from nearby White Rocks under questionable circumstances. Was her demise the work of her fiancé Phillip Rodgers? He was acquitted, and claimed innocence. Does Polly still roam Chestnut Ridge searching for justice? White Rocks today is known more rock climbing than for being a haunted place, and can be reached with some effort from the outskirts of Fairchance, PA.

Posted in Haunted Places in Pittsburgh

Add a Review

 

Related Listings

Dixmont State Hospital

Ray Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15202, United States

This old institutional campus of buildings in Kilbuck Township was the object of many rumors and ghost stories. It has been torn down in recent years, but still holds a special place for many ghost hunters. The buildings on the expansive grounds sat vacant for many years, which only helped to increase its reputation for paranormal activity (the mental institution part didn’t hurt either).– Read More…

Covert’s Crossing

611 Covert Rd, New Castle, PA 16102, United States

Covert’s Crossing was a single-lane old bridge in New Castle, PA. The bridge was built in 1887, and was very narrow. It has become the subject of many legends in the area, most of which involve headless spirits and midnight tragedies. For example, one story asserts that a newlywed couple in a horse drawn carriage was struck head on by a car on the bridge on their wedding night. The groom was never found, and the bride was decapitated. Variations of this story substitute the couple for a young girl on her prom night, and yet another mentions a railroad worker from the nearby tracks. In all the stories, the poor souls basically met the same end. Legend has it that these spirits would appear at midnight to whoever was brave enough to stop on the bridge.– Read More…

Moll Derry – The Witch of Fayette County

393 Hardin Hollow Rd, Smithfield, PA 15478, United States

Stories and folklore about a supposed witch in rural Fayette County have survived for over 2 centuries. Mary “Old Mollie” Derry was her name, a fortuneteller and whiskey seller who resided near Haydentown, PA. Her reputation as a witch was well known in the area. She supposedly could cast spells, throw curses and predict the future. Some said she could even fly! It was best not to anger her. One story asserts that she cursed three men who had mocked her, saying that each would encounter death by hanging. As you might imagine, their fate was sealed. As you can imagine, the legends of Old Mollie have been exaggerated over the years. Some have argued that she not a witch, but was more of a healer in the ways of Pennsylvania Dutch Hexcraft, or “Pow-wow”.– Read More…

Blue Mist Road

Irwin Road, Gibsonia, PA, United States

This isolated stretch of Irwin Road near North Park has been attracting attention for years. Irwin Road is an unlit, unpaved lane dotted with some scattered homes and ruins along it. It traverses a hollow parallel to Babcock Blvd. that is scary enough during the day, let alone at night. There are many legends and rumors associated with this place, but it is most known for rumors of satanic activity and all the horrors that typically go with that. It is named after the creeping “blue mist” that sometimes covers the road.– Read More…

Snyder Cemetery

Burton Rd, Slippery Rock, PA 16057

Snyder Cemetery is an old family graveyard located in what is now Moraine State Park. According to local lore, red eyes will chase you out of the haunted place. They say that Conrad Snyder is haunting his family’s resting place.– Read More…

John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center

1212 Smallman St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, United States

This building, in the Strip District of Pittsburgh, was once site of the Chautauqua Lake Ice Co, which exploded due to fire on February 9, 1898. The building has since been renovated and now houses the John Heinz History Center. Several staff members, including night security guards, have witnessed strange sights and sounds there. Most activity seems to center around the 5th floor (used as storage/archives) and the loading dock area. Spirits have been known to occupy and interact with the exhibits there.– Read More…