Historic Buildings Around Pittsburgh

Well-preserved homes, bridges and institutions dot the landscape across western Pennsylvania in the towns, cities and countryside. Explore the history and architecture in Pittsburgh and its surrounding counties.

Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

4400 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Situated near the University of Pittsburgh, the Carnegie Library still resides within it’s original building. Recent renovations have preserved its character while allowing for state of the art library services. The library was founded in 1895 by Andrew Carnegie, along with 5 other local branches. Today, the system has grown to 16 branches with 2 more on the way.Read more…

Providence Meeting House (Quaker Church)

Quaker Church Rd, Perryopolis, PA 15473

The Quaker Church (as it is locally known) is the third building to stand on this site, erected in 1893. It was constructed from the original stone of the previous meetinghouse. The Providence Meeting House was first chartered in 1789 to Mr. John Cope as a branch of the Redstone Monthly Meeting, which consisted of several Quaker families. It actively served as a church until around 1880. Only one acre of the original ground remains, and a gated cemetery surrounds the sole structure.Read more…

Fallingwater.jpg

Fallingwater

1491 Mill Run Rd, Mill Run, PA 15464

In 1937, construction was completed on Fallingwater, designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The brilliant design fused nature and function like no other – complete with a stream running through the house. This much celebrated vacation home in the Laurel Highlands of Edgar and Liliane Kaufman is now open to the public and under direction of the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy.Read more…

Washington Grist Mill, Perryopolis, PA

Washington Grist Mill

411 Layton Rd, Perryopolis, PA 15473

Reconstructed in 1999, the Grist Mill is a close replica to the original that was owned by George Washington.  Washington had the mill constructed in 1774-1776 on land that he owned as an investment.  Although he didn’t run the day to day operations (he was busy being the first president), he frequented the site and inspected it.  The Perryopolis Historical Society offers tours of the Mill, as well as a Distillery, “Bake Shop” and other attractions on the site.Read more…

Old Economy Village

270 16th Street, Ambridge, PA 15003

In 1824, the Harmony Society returned to Pennsylvania, this time settling in Beaver County along the Ohio River. There they founded “Oekonomie,” now better known as Old Economy Village. It was here that the Society gained worldwide recognition for its religious devotion and economic prosperity.Read more…

Nemacolin Castle, Brownsville, PA

Nemacolin Castle

136 Front St, Brownsville, PA 15417

In Brownsville, situated high above the Monongahela River, sits this historic castle. Guided tours are offered along with many other events throughout the year.Read more…

Friendship Hill National Historic Site

Friendship Hill National Historic Site

223 New Geneva Road, Point Marion, PA 15474

Friendship Hill was the country estate of Albert Gallatin, well known especially for his service as Secretary of the Treasury for the Jefferson and Madison administration. His name is still prominent in areas across Fayette County. The 661-acre estate is now maintained and run by the National Park Service. An audio self-tour is available, as well as ranger tours. The grounds surrounding the homestead contain many nature trails that are open to the public.Read more…

Century-Inn

Century Inn

2175 E National Pike, Scenery Hill, PA 15360

Opened as “Hill’s Tavern” in 1794, Century Inn was one of the oldest taverns / inns on Historic Route 40, the National Road. It was still open until a fire destroyed the Inn on August 18th, 2015. The original stone structure is still standing.Read more…