Ghost of the Allegheny County Jail

436 Grant St, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, United States

Website

How would you like to be in a jail that was also a haunted house? In 1907, prisoners in one section of the Allegheny County Jail pleaded to be moved to another area of the facility. It seemed that the ghost of a former cellmate, W.A. Culp, still could not escape and was harassing and terrifying the men. Culp committed suicide in the prison, and it seems that he wasn’t happy to find out that he still was trapped within its walls! The frightened former cellmates were granted their request.

Posted in Haunted Places in Pittsburgh

Add a Review

 

Related Listings

The Dark Place

260 N Shore Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15212

The North Shore of Pittsburgh has recently evolved into a regional destination due to its sporting events, bars and attractions. This area and the adjacent Allegheny West section of Pittsburgh have a long and diverse history. Before European settlement, the area was feared by Native Americans for having an unusual amount of supernatural activity, especially with spirits of their killed enemies. The area was swampy, dark and spooky, and was designated for a time by the Indians to only be used for torture and execution. This area was eventually developed as a hotbed of industrial activity and became the home of many prominent Pittsburghers. However, it continued to be known as a haunted place for its high degree of hauntings and ghost sightings. Many of the homes were thought to be haunted, including Congelier House, “the most haunted house in America”, on Ridge Avenue.– Read More…

Shades of Death Road (Avella, PA)

Shades of Death Rd, Avella, PA 15312, United States

Shades of Death Road is an actual road just north of Avella, PA. Other than the creepy name, it appears to be just another beautiful country road in the wooded countryside of western Pennsylvania. This road is not far from the Meadowcroft Rock Shelter and Museum, and the entire area is rather enchanting, if not haunted.– Read More…

Jean Bonnet Tavern

6048 Lincoln Hwy, Bedford, PA 15522, United States

The Jean Bonnet Tavern in Bedford was built in the 1760s. At one point, the building was used as a prison, and several condemned prisoners were hanged on location. So it is not surprising that the building has developed a reputation for paranormal activity over its many years! One ghost is that of a young girl waiting for her lover to return. Her footsteps can be heard running to the window, pausing, then slowly walking back again.– Read More…

Gravity Hill – North Park

461 McKinney Rd, Wexford, PA 15090, United States

Located at the intersection of McKinney Road @ Kummer Rd. Drive up McKinney toward the golf course and stop at the stop sign at Kummer Rd. Put your car in neutral and you will drift backward up the slight hill. This really works, and does not have an apparent reason. This is one of many such “gravity hills” in the state.– Read More…

1201 Bruce Hall, University of Pittsburgh

3990 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, United States

On the top floor of the Bruce Residence Hall is located Room 1201, a banquet hall that is used for catered special events. There have been many accounts over the years of paranormal activity in the room: cold spots, objects moving, and the feelings of spiritual presences while otherwise alone. The ghosts are believed to be those of two women who committed suicide many years ago in the room.– Read More…

The Black Cross of Butler County

Winfield Township, PA

The Influenza Epidemic of 1918 / 1919 took an especially heavy tool on the town of Winfield, PA in Butler County. Mass graves of up to 20 bodies per grave were quickly dug and buried in order to prevent the spread of the disease. Most of the victims were recent immigrants to the area and did not have family members to tend to their burials otherwise. A Catholic priest, Father O’Callahan, eventually performed burial rites for the victims and ordered the placement of a large cross of railroad ties to mark the site. Today, the remains of the original cross have been found, and are situated onsite, next to the smaller cross that exists today.– Read More…