Haunted Places in Pittsburgh, PA

43 “real” haunted places in Pittsburgh & around Western Pennsylvania, including cemeteries, forests and roads.  Each haunted place has its own ghost story or urban legend. Around Halloween there is an increased interest in the paranormal, and the Pittsburgh area has a lot to offer. Each of these haunted places has it’s own urban legend or ghost story, some involving zombies, ghouls or spirits; others involving murder mysteries and folklore. Pittsburgh has many old restaurants, taverns and colleges that are supposedly haunted or have tales of horror.  Use this list to create your own “ghost tour”, and get in the mood for the Halloween season.  I will be adding more haunted places as time allows.

If no results appear below, change the city to “Pittsburgh, PA”.  All of the haunted places in the southwestern Pennsylvania region have been assigned under this general location.  Overall, there are currently 43 listings in the region…

For more information on local haunted places, check out the “Haunted Stories & Folklore” category in my Pittsburgh Store.  Several of the listings here are discussed in more detail within these awesome books.  Support Pittsburgh’s local authors by purchasing one or more of these excellent, well-researched works today!

Happy Haunting!

461 McKinney Rd, Wexford, PA 15090, United States

Located at the intersection of McKinney Road @ Kummer Rd. Drive up McKinney toward the golf course and stop at the stop sign at Kummer Rd. Put your car in neutral and you will drift backward up the slight hill. This really works, and does not have an apparent reason. This is one of many such “gravity hills” in the state. Optical illusion or something more paranormal? You decide!

4743 S Pioneer Rd, Allison Park, PA 15101

The Depreciating Lands Museum is located near Route 8 in Hampton Township. It is a small museum, primarily used for education about pioneer life. It is known for its day camps and programs for young children. The building that it occupies was built in 1839, and was originally a Presbyterian church. For that reason, the friendly spirit that is rumored to be there has been named “The Deacon”. Tales of The Deacon & the haunted house began in the mid seventies, during building renovations. The Deacon’s purpose is typically to ensure safety, as if he is still watching out for those that occupy his building. Instances include the helping of a young boy on a ladder and the protection of workers from a ceiling cave in. In recent years, the museum has held Halloween Candlelight tours, where youngsters have hoped to catch a glimpse of “The Deacon”!

6048 Lincoln Hwy, Bedford, PA 15522, United States

The Jean Bonnet Tavern in Bedford was built in the 1760s. At one point, the building was used as a prison, and several condemned prisoners were hanged on location. So it is not surprising that the building has developed a reputation for paranormal activity over its many years! One ghost is that of a young girl waiting for her lover to return. Her footsteps can be heard running to the window, pausing, then slowly walking back again. There have also been numerous sightings of ghostly men in frontier clothing within the haunted house, sounds of patrons enjoying the bar while closed, even mysterious, staring eyes appearing in the walls!

1212 Smallman St, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, United States

This building, in the Strip District of Pittsburgh, was once site of the Chautauqua Lake Ice Co, which exploded due to fire on February 9, 1898. The building has since been renovated and now houses the John Heinz History Center. Several staff members, including night security guards, have witnessed strange sights and sounds there. Most activity seems to center around the 5th floor (used as storage/archives) and the loading dock area. Spirits have been known to occupy and interact with the exhibits there. This haunted house is easily accessible: The History Center is open to the public 7 days a week from 10AM to 5PM (holidays excluded).

672 Livermore Road, Blairsville, PA 15717, United States

At the base of the Conemaugh River Dam, on the Westmoreland / Indiana County border, lies the remains of the town of Livermore. When the dam was created in 1952, the town was intentionally flooded. Some still assert that although most of the buildings had been razed previously, not all were demolished, leaving several structures to an underwater fate. Because of the water level, the buildings are obscured from site. Other sources say that all of the buildings were razed prior to the flood. What really lies below has become the subject of conjecture and mystery!

808 West Main Street, Monongahela, PA

At this haunted antique shop, located at 808 West Main Street, the ghost of a young girl sometimes provides a chill when present, and her voice can sometimes be heard. In fact, this ghost has supposedly been photographed! This building must have quite a history; it was built in 1869.

401 S Juniata St, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648

The US Hotel in Hollidaysburg has a long history of paranormal activity. Built in the mid-nineteenth century, it has been used primarily as an inn and restaurant, but also has been rumored to have had ties to the underground railroad. The hotel burned in 1871 and was rebuilt. It is believed that a girl may have perished in the fire, and that her spirit still haunts the upper floors. A playful ghost, the most that many have encountered was on the order of slamming doors and things being knocked over. However, a group of ghost hunters had a much more terrifying experience, relating to a hostile sprit of a murderer and his unfortunate victim inside the haunted house.

168 Hamilton St, McKees Rocks, PA 15136, United States

An Indian burial ground located in the otherwise urban town of McKees Rocks near Pittsburgh may be little known, but it gets attention every once in a while in the media. Estimates say that between 500 to 1000 may have been buried at the site about 2000-2300 years ago. The number of bodies unearthed has been much smaller, along with many artifacts. This site has been of interest for over 100 years and has received special attention from many Native American groups as well as archeologists. At this point, there is much disagreement as to what, if anything still exists at the site. Not your typical haunted place!

Shades of Death Rd, Avella, PA 15312, United States

This is an actual road just north of Avella, PA. Other than the creepy name, it appears to be just another beautiful country road in the wooded countryside of western Pennsylvania. This road is not far from the Meadowcroft Rock Shelter and Museum, and the entire area is rather enchanting, if not haunted. For now, the mystery remains how it got its name!

Burton Rd, Slippery Rock, PA 16057

Snyder Cemetery is an old family graveyard located in what is now Moraine State Park. According to local lore, red eyes will chase you out of the haunted place. They say that Conrad Snyder is haunting his family’s resting place. There is an account of a green glowing light that comes from a small headstone, and white flashes of light and a weird fog have been reported there as well.

Ray Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15202, United States

This old institutional campus of buildings in Kilbuck Township was the object of many rumors and ghost stories. It has been torn down in recent years, but still holds a special place for many ghost hunters. The buildings on the expansive grounds sat vacant for many years, which only helped to increase its reputation for paranormal activity (the mental institution part didn’t hurt either). Classic example of haunted houses!

3430 Evergreen Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15237, United States

Evergreen Community Park in Ross Township is a popular spot for picnics, parties and fishing in the small pond within the park. An old legend asserts that the spring that fills the pond was created under miraculous circumstances, for a desperate young Indian couple searching for water in the 19th century. The lovers were trying to escape their tribes, who had arranged marriages to others against their will. The grandson of this couple first told the story in 1924 to landowners in the area after searching for and finding the spring.